- Makes a very large center-pull ball - up to one pound of yarn.
- Great for winding large skeins or bulky yarns.
- No oiling or adjusting required thanks to a ball bearing drive.
- Longer counter-weight bracket greatly reduces vibration.
- 15" base eliminates "knuckle-smacking" while winding.
- Tall, soft rubber feet prevents the winder from sliding and scratching your table.
- Special drive belt material makes for less slipping while making a ball.
- Extra long table clamp secures the winder to a variety of table surfaces.
The Strauch jumbo ball winder generates a unique and distinctive diamond-shaped patterned ball as a result of its dual rotation. Two things must happen at the same time in order to wind a perfect ball.
1. The whole drive wheel assembly must rotate around the center bolt as the crank is turned ("A" arrow on left photo).
2. The wheel holding the yarn cylinder must also smoothly revolve on the clear plastic drive cone. ("B" arrow on left photo).
Because of this off-center rotation, the jumbo ball winder must be clamped to a work surface.
It is important not to wind the ball too fast. Winding too fast will cause the wheel to slip on the plastic cone and will give you an irregular ball.
The extra long length table clamp allows the winder to be clamped to a standard 1 1/2 inch thick kitchen counter. For those who use a table that does not have a
front drop down piece of wood like you find on a typical dining room table, the clamp can reach further under the table to prevent any wobbling or "flapping" of the ball winder base.
Your Jumbo Ball Winder is shipped in a sturdy box. -- Save it. It's a handy carrying case and folds flat for easy storage.
Dimensions of unit: 15" L x 5" W x 9 1/2" H. Shipping weight 5 pounds.
The standard clamp that comes with the Ball Winder fits tables from 3/8" to 2 1/4" thick There is a "Deeper Style" table clamp available that will fit tables from 1 1/2" to 3 1/4" thick. They are an additional $28.00.
If you want to wind thick, bulky "art yarns", this guide with a large 5/8" diameter loop is what you need. Simply pull out the standard guide that's on your winder and replace it with the Large Loop Guide. It's only $8.00.
When ordering, specify whether it's for the newer 15" long base winder or the older 14" models. These belts for the 14" base will also fit the old, obsolete Fricke ball winders.